Friday, September 22, 2017

The Ultimate Geek Quilt - A Finish

*Very Photo Heavy Post*

Urban Dictionary Definition 6: Geek: The term now enjoys a special status within the technical community, particularly among particularly knowledgeable computer programmers. To identify oneself as a "geek" indicates a recognition that most people still consider programming computers to be a bizarre act, along with a certain fierce satisfaction in being very good at their inglorious profession. 

Miriam Webster: Geek: 3:an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity 
  • computer geek

It seems that I am able to complete one large quilt a year.
Here is this years' quilt: The Ultimate Geek Quilt




This quilt has been many years in coming.  Its probably been at least 5 years ago that I first thought of making it for my husband.  I thought it would be great to collect images of the cartoons/movies/games/comics that he enjoyed as a kid and an adult.  I started a running list of things that had a graphic, easily recognized image that didn't require words to identify (for the most part).

The quilt also had a working title for a long time.  Mostly going by "D's quilt" or "the symbols quilt".  Finally I settled on Ultimate Geek Quilt, embracing the definition that geeks are enthusiasts, especially about games and technology.



I will give you the details of the quilt here at the beginning of the post, and then if you wish to scroll through the individual blocks - you may at your leisure.  I will label them all.


The solids are all Kona Cottons, and you will notice it has a pretty limited color palette.  I discarded any thing that was too complicated or too colorful (e.g. Buck Rogers).  Everything is fusible, raw edge applique.  All sewn down with a machine button hole stitch.

The sashing fabric is 1s and 0s, and the cornerstones are USB plugs, an homage to Mr. Riley's computer/technology work.

The backing is a flannel that I got from Connecting Threads. I did preshrink the backing, even though I didn't preshrink anything else.  Flannel is just so unpredictable in it's washing/shrinking.

The batting is the Tuscany Wool from Hobbs.  Mr. Riley firmly believes quilts should be big enough to cover a person and warm.  The quilt is pretty heavy - here's hoping for a cold winter.  It measures 80" x 92".   Big enough to cover Mr. Riley (and our bed if it ends up there).

All the threads used were Aurifil.  You all know I'm a fan.


A nice shot of the backing and quilting.  I out lined all the symbols - not always completely - and then did horizontal squiggles.  I have a tendency to over quilt things, and I wanted this to be a soft and snuggly quilt, so I tried not to quilt too much.  On the other hand, the wool can't be quilted too far apart.

Over the summer I declared that I was going to FINISH this thing, so I found myself pool side in the 80s binding a wool and flannel quilt.

And so it is totally finished.  It even has a label and a sleeve as I'm planning to enter it in a quilt show in October.

Now for the individual blocks themselves.  If you follow me on Instagram, I was sharing them as I finished up the quilting of each.  That's why there are lots of threads in the pictures waiting to be buried.

Batman
Battlestar Galactica
G.I. Joe
Viper (Battlestar Galactica)
Vulcan (Star Trek)
Spawn
Captain America
Colonial Symbol (Battlestar Galactica)
Viper Gold Squadron (Battlestar Galactica)
Cylon Base (Battlestar Galactica)
Voltron
D&D (original symbol)
The Empire (Star Wars)
Autobots (Transformers)

Gundam
The Rebel Alliance (Star Wars)
Decepticon (Transformers)
Cylon
Klingon (Star Trek)
Star Trek
Atari
Jedi Order
Boba Fett (Star Wars)
Mum-ra (Thunder Cats)
Firefly
Cobra (G.I. Joe)
Thundercats
X-Men
The Borg (Star Trek)
Boba Fett (Star Wars)

Thanks for stopping by!!


Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday



4 comments:

Regina said...

This quilt is awesome! I do have to turn in my geek/nerd membership card though, I could not name more than a few of them.

Marla aka YaYa said...

Your husband must be so happy! I can think of a couple geeky people who will not get to see your quilt. . . I don't want them to get any ideas!

Kristin said...

WOW!!! That is true love! Very cool.

Kristin said...

So-- I've heard about the Lighthouse Quilt show for years, but never was in the area when it was happening. Today, stars aligned and I was able to go. I walked in and was immediately impressed at the size and volume of people. I start looking at the exhibit and what is one of the first quilts I see?? THIS ONE!!! And I'm like--- wha?? I just saw this online and commented on it. Surely there are not more than one of these in existence??? What a small world!!! I live in Madison and am visiting my parents in Kenosha for a few days. Congratulations on your entries! It was a wonderful show. :)